The people of Frenchtown played an important part in the history of the Virgin Islands.
Many French families originated from the island of Saint Barthelemy during the latter half of the nineteenth century.
These residents made an honest livelihood by plaiting straw hats and bags, selling fruit, such as oranges and pineapples and by fishing and making fish pots.
This is a rare print taken in 1923, two years after their Catholic church was built on the highest hill. It became a beacon of hope for many.
Named after the Patron Saint of Mariners, St. Anne, she became the people's protector from storms and hurricanes.
In fact, a life-size statue of St. Anne currently stands by their church, reminding all of her special love and devotion to fishermen and their families.